Knowledge Base Getting Started Frequently Asked Questions

Employment page (limited company directors)

This article explains how to complete the Employment page in FreeAgent.

You need to record the details of your employment as the director of a limited company, as well as any other paid employment you might have, on the Employment page of your Self Assessment tax return.

Remember: FreeAgent cannot advise you on how to fill in your tax return correctly, nor can we check your figures to see if they are correct, unless they have been calculated by the software. We are not authorised by HMRC to provide accounting or tax advice. If you are in any doubt as to whether a figure on your tax return is right, you need to speak to your accountant or to HMRC.

Completing the Employment page

Entering your income

FreeAgent will automatically complete the ‘Income’ section for your employment as a limited company director.


If you have another paid job in addition to your role as a limited company director, you will need to complete an Employment section for each of your other jobs.

Simply return to the top of the page, enter the name of your other employer, select ‘Add employment’ and enter your taxable gross pay and the tax deducted into boxes 1 and 2 respectively. You’ll find this information on your form P60, which you will have been given by your employer. The figures you need will be highlighted with asterisks on the form.


Entering benefits and expenses

If you received benefits (such as a company car) or were reimbursed expenses during the tax year, you may have been given a form P11D by your employer.

If this is the case, you will need to set the ‘Benefits from your employment’ section to ‘Yes’ and complete the relevant fields using the information on the form. Use box 16 to record any expenses that the company has paid back to you.


If the P11D form also includes details of any expenses that you’ve incurred and for which you're entitled to claim tax relief, set the ‘Employment expenses’ section to ‘Yes’ and complete boxes 17-20 using the information on the form.


If your employer reimbursed you for expenses during the tax year and this isn’t recorded on the P11D (or you didn’t receive a form), you don’t need to enter these figures here.

If you do not have a form P11D, you can leave both the 'Benefits from employment' and 'Employment expenses' sections set to ‘No’.

Did you find this article useful?