How to add your accountant as a user to your FreeAgent account
This article explains how to add your accountant as a user to your FreeAgent account in order to allow them to access your data and perform a range of tasks on your behalf.
Please note that:
- You'll need level 7 access or above to add your accountant as a user
- it’s not possible to explain salary or dividend payments to a user with the role of ‘Accountant’
- it’s not possible for a user with the role of ‘Accountant’ to add or edit a user
If you work with an accountant who is a FreeAgent partner, you can ask them to transfer your FreeAgent account to their Practice Dashboardinstead of following the steps below.
The Practice Dashboard is a tool that allows FreeAgent partner accountants to view and manage their clients’ FreeAgent accounts. If you transfer your account to an accountant’s Practice Dashboard, they will gain full access to it and will be responsible for managing your FreeAgent subscription. Please ask your accountant if you’re unsure whether they have a Practice Dashboard.
If you work with an accountant who isn’t a FreeAgent partner, follow the steps below to add your accountant as a user to your FreeAgent account.
How to add your accountant as a user
Select 'Settings' from the drop-down menu in the top-right corner and then select 'Users'.
Select 'New User' in the top-right corner.
Select ‘Accountant’ from the ‘Role’ drop-down menu.
Enter your accountant’s email address and their first and last name.
Tick the checkbox to send your accountant a customised email to invite them to create a password when they first sign into FreeAgent.
If you have full (level 8) access to FreeAgent, you’ll see the option to set a permission level for the new user. The default level for a new user is level 7 'Tax, Accounting & Users'. To change this, slide the bar along to the appropriate level of access. If you’re unsure which level of access to choose, please ask your accountant.
To give your accountant full access to FreeAgent, including advanced features such as creating journals and editing settings such as VAT, drag the bar fully over to the right to level 8 'Full Access'.
Once you've entered the relevant information for your accountant, select 'Create new user & Send Invitation’ to complete the process.
Your accountant will be set up as a user of your FreeAgent account and will be able to access your data once they've set their password.
I need help with…View all categories →
Articles in this section
- How to transfer your FreeAgent account to your accountant’s Practice Dashboard
- How to transfer your FreeAgent account from one accountant's Practice Dashboard to another
- How to remove your FreeAgent account from your accountant’s Practice Dashboard
- How to add your accountant as a user to your FreeAgent account