How to format a CSV file to upload a bank statement
If your bank doesn’t support OFX or QIF bank statement formats when downloading a bank statement from your online banking, you’ll need to download a CSV file instead and format it before you can upload it into FreeAgent.
You’ll need to have level 6 access or above to your FreeAgent account to upload a CSV file into FreeAgent.
Download a CSV file
Format a CSV file
To create a basic CSV file to upload to FreeAgent, you’ll need to include three columns in the following order and format them as described below:
- Column A - date: use the date format dd/mm/yyyy
- Column B - amount: formatted as 'number' to 2 decimal places. This column includes all bank transactions, money paid in and out of the business bank account. Transactions for money paid out should have minus signs (-) in front of them.
- Column C - description: include the invoice reference or a brief description.
Check the CSV file
Once you’ve created a CSV file in the format outlined above, check:
- you haven’t included a header row
- the date format is dd/mm/yyyy
- you've used a single column for the transaction amounts (column B) that contains both money paid out and money paid in
- there are no commas in your amounts or description columns
- you haven't included any quote marks (")
- each description is on a single line with no carriage returns
- the file is saved with the extension .csv (not .xls or .xlsx)
Once you’ve confirmed all of the above, you’re ready to upload your CSV file into FreeAgent.