User access levels in FreeAgent
This article explains the permissions for each of the eight user access levels in FreeAgent. It also explains how to set a new user's access level and how to change an existing user’s access level.
FreeAgent permission levels allow users to perform different activities and access different data in a FreeAgent account.
If you can't perform a particular function in FreeAgent, such as creating journal entries, it's likely that your user access level doesn't grant permission to use that functionality.
Users with full (level 8) access can set or modify all user access levels. A user with level 7 access can add new users and edit existing users with level 7 access or below, but can’t add or edit users with a permission level greater than their own.
Setting a new user's access level
To set a new user's access level, select 'Settings' from the drop-down menu in the top-right and choose 'Users'.
Select 'New User'.
Complete the required details for the user.
Next, select the appropriate access level using the 'User Permissions' slider. When you're happy with the information you've entered and the access level you've set for the user, select 'Create new user'.
Changing an existing user's access level
To change an existing user's access level, select 'Settings' from the drop-down menu in the top-right and choose 'Users'.
Select the relevant user's name from the list.
Slide the 'User Permissions' slider up or down to change the user's access level. Select 'Save Changes' to save the new permission level.
An overview of access levels in FreeAgent
Below is a breakdown of permissions for each access level in FreeAgent.
Level 0 - no access
Users with level 0 access cannot log in to FreeAgent at all.
Level 1 - time
Users with level 1 access can: ✅
- create and edit their own timeslips
- create their own timeslip reports
- create and edit their own tasks
Users with level 1 access can't: ❌
- see billing rates or any other financial information
- see expenses
Level 2 - my money
In addition to all permissions from level 1, users with level 2 access can: ✅
- create and edit their own expenses
- upload attachments to expenses
Users with level 2 access can't see billing rates or any other financial information. ❌
Level 3 - contacts and projects
In addition to all of the above permissions, users with level 3 access can: ✅
- create and edit contacts
- create and edit projects
Users with level 3 access can't: ❌
- see any invoices, expenses or bills not related to a particular project
- view the details of expenses, bills and bank transactions linked to projects
Level 4 - invoices, estimates and files
In addition to all of the above permissions, users with level 4 access can: ✅
- create and edit invoices and estimates
- create and edit email templates
- upload files
- enable online payment options
Users with level 4 access can't see purchases or bank transactions. ❌
Level 5 - bills
In addition to all of the above permissions, users with level 5 access can create and edit bills. ✅
Users with level 5 access can't see bank transactions. ❌
Level 6 - banking
In addition to all of the above permissions, users with level 6 access can: ✅
- create and edit bank accounts
- import and explain bank transactions
- enable and disable bank feeds (if available)
Users with level 6 access can't see accounting reports. ❌
Level 7 - tax, accounting and users
In addition to all of the above permissions, users with level 7 access can: ✅
- view subscription details and referrals
- view accounting reports
- view Radar
- view Insights
- view sales tax settings
- create timeslip reports for all users
- create and edit users with level 7 access or below
- create custom income categories
- edit account settings
- create and edit expenses for other users
- view and customise Cashflow
- view Audit Trail report
- generate a support code
- create and edit stock items
Users with level 7 access can't: ❌
- create journals
- use the 'export all data' feature
Level 8 - full access
In addition to all of the above permissions, users with level 8 access can: ✅
- create and edit journal entries
- manage sales tax rates and periods
- create custom accounting categories
- create and edit users with any level of access
- add and remove account locks
- view login attempts
- cancel and edit account subscription
- reset company data
- delete all company data
- use the 'export all data' feature
I need help with…View all categories →
Articles in this section
- How to log in to your FreeAgent account
- Troubleshooting steps for problems logging into FreeAgent
- Insights in FreeAgent
- User access levels in FreeAgent
- Recommended system requirements for using FreeAgent
- About the weekly summary email
- How to search your account
- Getting started troubleshooting
- How to generate a support code to give FreeAgent’s support team access to your account